Still working on my daughter’s future guitar. I made a paper template once I got the neck adn bridge attached to the body.
Then I got some beat up old pick guard material from my local guitar shop for a couple of bucks. It is sheilded on one side, but I am not going to sheild her guitar just yet.
Using grease pencils I traced my template onto the guard material and borrowed a neighbor’s saw to cut it. For the pick up holes I drilled out two holes on each end and then used the saw to cut the space between the two holes out. It wasn’t perfect, but I gave myself some extra material and used files to make it bigger. It is always easier to cut more off than to add some back on.
Next came the wiring. I want to keep it simple and use only parts I already have. So she gets a single coil in the neck and a stacked humbucker (I think it is a DiMarzio, but is probably an Ibanez stacked single coil) at the brdige. She’ll have one volume, one tone, and a 3 way pick up selector.