I can’t believe it has been almost 18 months since I started my 1×12 guitar speaker cabinet project (see blue prints and pictures). Nothing like pride in building something yourself. That ol’ DIY spirit… and yet it still isn’t completely finished. But it does work (and has for over a year) and that is all that really matters.
Yesterday I finally completed the speaker grill! It didn’t take a lot of time to actually build, but it took a while for me to get around to it.
First, I cut 3/4 by 3/4 inch square dowels into the appropriate lengths to make a frame for the grill. I tried to give myself about 1/16th of an inch clearance to give the grill material some room (sorry for the out of focus picture).
Second, I got some wicker cane (the kind of stuff that is pre-made in sheets) and soaked it for an hour in warm water (the guy I bought it from said this would make it easier to pull around the frame). I’m sure it made a difference, but it was still tough.
Third, I lined up the frame with the specific lines in the wicker cane so it would be straight. Then I bent it around the frame where I stapled it onto the back of the frame. I also laid a bead of wood glue along the back of the frame so it would have something besides the staples to hold it in place. I don’t know if that has made a difference (sorry, no pictures of this process, it was pretty haphazard). It is pretty straight but it isn’t perfect.
Finally I put the grill in place. It is a very tight fit. I should’ve given myself 1/8th or 1/4th inch clearance for the grill material, but oh well. It works for now!
Next steps are getting the handle, rubber feet, and metal corners ordered and installed. Then I’ll take it all apart, sand it, and cover everything in either a clear or honey tinted finish.
Here’s a picture of the back just for fun!