As I’ve mentioned in past entries, I am putting together the hodge podge guitar (“partsocaster” anyone?). The neck was not drilled for the neck screws, so I had to line it up. But the neck wouldn’t fit in the neck pocket. So I got out different grades of sandpaper and started reshaping the neck.
Now it fits in the neck pocket very nicely. I then used a 9/64th drill bit through the neck screw holes on the body to mark where the holes should be drilled on the neck. I then measured the length of the neck screws and decided to drill holes in the neck to 3/4th of an inch. These screws seem big to me, but they will work with this neck since it is very thick.
I also made sure the neck screw holes in the body were 11/64th, which they weren’t and that surprised me.
I also ran into a problem with the neck plate from the Behringer parts guitar. It was off by an 1/8th of an inch. So I headed to my local guitar shop and they sold me a used B.C.Rich neck plate for cheap that fit perfectly! As we were looking through the used neck plates I also found a curved neck plate for a Fender American Deluxe Strat. So I bought both! I will use the Fender American Deluxe Strat curved neck plate for my tele project someday.
Also, when you screw everything together, put some soap on the screws so they go into the wood more easily.