Closed Back 2×12 attempt 1

With one kid sick and my wife catching whatever form of the plague said kid brought home, we spent most of the weekend at home. Admittedly I was probably spending more time on this project than I should have been (taking care of the family, hello), but I wanted to get it put together.

For those of you who haven’t been reading my blog so far, I got a free, but broken, 2×12 Raven RG100 guitar amp. I was originally going to strip it of parts for the 1×12 speaker cabinet I made, but decided this would be a cheap and easy way to make my own 2×12 (which was going to be my next speaker cabinet project).

Once again I’ve been trying to lower my expenses on these projects, but I really want to use quality wood for my final 2×12 speaker project. This project could be done almost entirely with scraps and pieces I already have, so it seems like a good stop gap until I can get the quality wood for a complete build. Plus, once I have a 2×12 speaker, I can sand, stain, and finish my 1×12 that is still in its natural wood state since assembly.

So I measured the front and back holes that I wanted to seal up, cut some wood to be cleats around those openings, and then cut some cheap 3/8 inch plywood I had lying around to the size of the holes. It went pretty smoothly, but after cutting the wood, it was nap time for my youngest, so I took a break. When he woke up I spent my time putting everything together and chasing him around the yard.

I had two big problems with my efforts. First, my drill would not fit inside the cabinet, so I couldn’t get good guide holes drilled for the screws I was using on the cleats. Second, my son kept carrying off my wood and tools to “fix” his swing set. Hard to get upset with a two year old who is working so intently…but it can be a time delay. Luckily he knows not to play with a skil saw. Perhaps that’s good parenting  or just plain good.

As you can see, the original amp had a piece of wood along the bottom of the back, so I used that to anchor a 1×4 plank for the bottom cleat. Then I installed the top cleat, trying very hard to install it with the same distance as the bottom cleat. Unfortunately this is where the guide holes caused a problem. I didn’t make them big enough and they weren’t straight, so my wood split.  I then had to use the cleat I was planning to use for the front. It worked fine, but now I am out of wood to make cleats for the front hole.

Now that that disaster was fixed, I installed the two side cleats by simply lining them up with the bottom and top cleats. That worked pretty well and showed I’d done a pretty good job at lining everything up. Not perfect, but pretty good.

You may remember that the original driver mounts did not match up with the holes in my Ampeg drivers, so I drilled four more guide holes. Once again this was tough to do with a drill that didn’t fit inside, but after a little frustration, I realized I could drill from the outside in rather than the inside out. I was worried I wouldn’t line up the holes, but took the chance (after removing the drivers). It all lined up when I put the drivers back in!

Oh, and I put the original metal grill back on since I don’t want to find the speaker cones or anything else damaged by exploring 2 year olds!

So everything is ready for the back hole cover, which fits. And the drivers are installed, wired up, and work. Now I just need to get some wood for the front hole cleats and I’ll be done!

Advertisements

One thought on “Closed Back 2×12 attempt 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s